Friday, December 5, 2014

Ahhh, back to school, and it's December.

Except, there was school Monday. I misread the paper they sent home from school, and it DID start then. Can I get some applause, please? I need some.

I keep reading all these blog articles about the Elf on the Shelf. I do not, nor have I ever, owned one of these. It sounds like a nifty little manipulator, I think there's merit in that. But I gotta tell you, I think my kid is smarter than that. She's six. Is it too late to introduce such a thing now? Am I supposed to have started earlier with it? I'm not sure it's for us.

We don't do a lot for Christmas around here. The poshpad is tiny. It's like living in a tiny tin tuna can living here. There are just lots of them in a row, so we don't get too cold in the winter. The ones on the sides of us keep us warm. But we don't decorate a lot.

Really, we don't do much to get into the spirit compared to a lot of people. I think it's so interwoven into our society that we don't really have to. It's everywhere you go, you hear it, smell it, see it, I don't think Blue misses out much. We watch our holiday specials - the same ones I watched when I was a kid - all snuggled together. We donate. We talk about Santa and giving and the time with loved ones to come...  Those are the things that are special to us. We don't need all those decorations. Nor do we need a weird little elf watching Blue to see if she behaves. It wouldn't change her behavior anyway. She's too clever for that shit. Really.

Ah, if only it were that easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment